- Date : 24/09/2020
- Read: 7 mins
Here are 7 credit cards to consider if you are looking to shop for groceries and other essentials in India.
The COVID-19 pandemic has transformed many facets of everyday life. Ever since the lockdown began in March, many people have found it hard to do even basic everyday tasks, such as going to the market to buy essentials. Thankfully, the virtual world presents many convenient opportunities – such as online shopping with a credit card – that can deliver the things you need right at your doorstep. Not only does this minimize physical contact and offer a hassle-free experience but also provides benefits in the form of credit card reward points, cashback money, and more.
When it comes to credit card benefits, the list can be long. Here are some advantages of using a credit card:
- Emergency purchases: Credit cards can be used in times of a cash crunch. They offer instant relief in emergencies. They can also be used to cover varied types of expenses with little or no restrictions.
- Best rewards: Credit card benefits include features like frequent flyer miles, cashback, discounts, etc. All credit card companies offer these features to customers from time to time.
- Safety and convenience: Credit cards are absolutely safe for online transactions. They offer you the ease to shop anywhere, anytime. Moreover, in case of theft, you can immediately notify your credit card provider and protect yourself from any losses.
- Improved credit score: Credit cards can help you build your credit score if you are looking for a loan. As long as you pay back your dues on time, your credit score will improve with every transaction.
Now let us look at the 7 best rewards credit cards in India:
1. ICICI Bank Coral Contactless Credit Card
Credit card charges: You can get this card with a joining fee of Rs 1000 (plus service tax). The fee reduces to Rs 500 per annum from the second year onwards. However, if you spend more than Rs 1.25 lakh using the card in a year, the fee for the next year is waived by the company.
Credit card benefits: The card offers 2x cash rewards for grocery purchases. This also extends to supermarket and dining expenses. In fact, under the card’s Culinary Treats Program, you can save up to 15% on dining expenses across the country at over 2100 restaurants. In addition to this, the card offers two airport lounge visits for each quarter in domestic airports. You can also avail of two movie tickets on the BookMyShow app every month. Most importantly, given the current times, the contactless Mastercard allows safe transactions.
1 PAYBACK point on the card is equivalent to Rs.0.25. You can earn:
- 4 PAYBACK points on every transaction of Rs.100 on dining, grocery and supermarket purchases.
- 2 PAYBACK points on every transaction of Rs.100 spent on other items.
2. Kotak Mahindra Essential Platinum Credit Card
Credit card charges: The Kotak Mahindra Essential Platinum credit card can be obtained by paying a joining fee of Rs 1499, while the annual renewal fee is capped at Rs 749.
Credit card benefits: This credit card offers up to 1200 points or Rs 1200 on transactions valued at Rs 1.25 lakh every 6 months. You can also opt for 6 PVR tickets in place of the points/money. Moreover, on a minimum transaction of Rs 1500 at grocery and department stores, you can earn up to 10% savings. The card also adds 10 savings points for Rs. 100 spent at grocery and department stores. 1 saving point is equal to Re. 1.
3. HDFC Bank Solitaire Credit Card
Credit card charges: The HDFC Bank Solitaire credit card charges an annual fee of Rs 500. The card can be renewed every year for Rs 500. However, if you spend Rs 10,000 within 90 days of the date of getting the card, the company waives the membership fee for the first year. If transactions on the card amount to Rs 50,000 in a year, the next year’s membership fee is also waived.
Credit card benefits: HDFC Bank offers rewards points of up to 50% on grocery and dining expenses. This works out to 2880 credit card reward points in a year. You can also expect the following perks:
- Gift voucher of Rs 1000 on Shoppers Stop on a purchase of up to Rs 75,000 every 6 months.
- Savings of up to Rs 1500 every year on fuel bills.
- Rs 4000 cashback on transactions of over Rs 5 lakh.
- 3 reward points for every Rs. 150 spent on the card. The value of one point is Rs. 0.30.
4. SimplySAVE Advantage SBI Credit Card
Credit card charges: The SimplySAVE Advantage SBI credit card can be yours for Rs 499. The card can be renewed yearly for Rs 499.
Credit card benefits: The value of one reward point is Rs. 0.25 paise on the card. It offers up to 10x rewards points for every Rs 100 spent on grocery and department store purchases. If you spend Rs 90,000 in a year, the bank offers an annual membership fee reversal the subsequent year. You also get a cashback of Rs 100 on your first ATM withdrawal.
5. Standard Chartered Manhattan Platinum Credit Card
Credit card charges: The Standard Chartered Manhattan Platinum credit card can be purchased for Rs 999. The annual renewal fee for the card is also Rs 999.
Credit card benefits: The card offers a 5% cashback on every purchase of Rs 150 at supermarkets or department stores. It offers up to Rs 500 cashback every month. There are special offers from Visa too.
6. Amazon ICICI pay Card
Credit card charges: The Amazon ICICI pay card comes with no joining or renewal fee.
Credit card benefits: This life-time free card offers a 5% cashback to Amazon Prime customers and a 3% cashback to non-prime customers on purchases on Amazon.in. You can also earn 2% cashback for payments made through any Amazon Pay partner merchants while using the card and 1% cashback for other payments. The offers a 1% waiver on fuel surcharge at petrol pumps in India too.
A reward point on the card is equivalent to Re. 1.
7. Flipkart Axis Card
Credit card charges: The joining fee for the Flipkart Axis Card is Rs. 500. The renewal fee is also fixed at Rs. 500.
Credit card benefits: The card offers a Flipkart voucher of Rs. 500 on the first transaction. You can also get Rs. 500 off on a minimum hotel booking of Rs. 2,000 at Goibibo and Make My Trip each. In addition to this, the card offers a 15% cashback on the first transaction at Myntra and a 20% discount of up to Rs. 400 on UrbanClap for your first booking. You can also enjoy up to 4 complimentary lounge visits inside domestic airport including Bangalore, Mumbai, Pune, Hyderabad, Chennai, Delhi, and Kolkata in a year and Unlimited access to Gaana Plus for 6 months.
With so many lucrative and appealing products in the market, online shopping with credit cards offers a host of advantages. You can use one of these credit cards to cover your monthly expenses and earn reward points and cashback for future purchases.
Confused about which credit card is ideal for you? See: Things to consider before picking up a credit card.