- Date : 14/10/2021
- Read: 6 mins
Yes, you heard that right! You can earn money by simply paying your rent or deposit with a credit card. This article will walk you through the process and list some of the platforms that you can use.
Plastic money can be a boon or a bane, depending on how you choose to use it. When used recklessly, credit card spending can mess up your finances. However, its judicious use can make the payment process seamless and offer several credit card benefits.
You can use credit cards to make sizeable payments, such as rent, fees, maintenance, and many more to earn exciting offers and rewards. In India, people typically prefer to pay rent through cash, online transfer, or cheque. But it is now becoming increasingly common for people to pay rent with credit cards.
In this article, we will look at the benefits of credit card in India, how to pay rent through credit card, and everything else you need to know about credit cards and rent payment.
Benefits of using a credit card
You get several financial benefits when paying house rent, insurance premiums, and other similar expenses through a credit card. For example, a credit card allows you to make payments even if you do not have a sufficient balance in your account.
Here are some other benefits of using your credit card for rent-like expenses.
- Earn rewards: Credit card providers offer various deals and discounts on transactions. These could be in the form of cashback, travel points, or shopping vouchers. You can also get access to coupons and offers from several retail brands.
- Never miss a deadline: With credit card payments, you have the option of setting up standing instructions. If you choose to pay rent with a credit card, the amount will be transferred every month without fail. Even if you are short of cash, you can pay your rent through a credit card.
- Boost your credit score: When you use your credit card regularly for sizeable transactions, you earn a high credit score along with rewards. Remember, the score is maintained only if you make the payments on time.
- Cover sundry expenses: If you are ever strapped for cash, you can rely on your credit card to help you get through the jam. The only other choice in such cases is borrowing money, which can be quite risky. So, if you do not have enough balance in the bank to pay for your expenses, using a credit card is a viable option.
Platforms that let you pay rent through credit cards
There are plenty of platforms that let you pay rent using credit cards. All these platforms have certain terms and conditions. Let us take a closer look at the details of rent payment through the following platforms via credit cards.
- Housing.com: Housing.com is a trusted website with a rent payment feature. Transactions take about 30 seconds. You can receive cashback, air miles, reward points, etc., for paying your rent. The payment process is powered by RazorPay, ensuring safe transactions and a user-friendly interface. You get automatic rent receipts that can be used for claiming HRA.
- RedGirraffe: RedGirraffe is one of the first fintech companies in India to provide a rent payment feature. It is dedicated solely to rent processing and has minimal charges.
- CRED: CRED is a popular platform that is a go-to for various payments. Its sleek interface and variety of payment options make it an excellent choice for paying rent. Making payments with CRED lets you earn reward points, free cash, CRED coins, and interest-free credit periods.
- NoBroker: NoBroker is a real estate search platform that comes with a rent payment solution as well. The rent is transferred within a couple of days (at most) or a few hours (at best).
- Paytm: Paytm is one of India’s most popular payment platforms. It offers rent payment services at a low processing fee, and the process is quite straightforward. You are entitled to various money-back offers, vouchers, and other deals when you pay rent through a credit card using Paytm.
- PhonePe: The PhonePe app is the latest entrant to this list and offers an excellent user interface. Transfers are instantaneous and completely hassle-free.
Related: 5 Apps To Pay Your Monthly Rent
What are the charges for making rent payments with credit cards?
All the payment platforms discussed above charge a nominal fee to process rent payments. The charges are listed in the table below.
How to pay rent online on a platform like Paytm?
Paytm is an extremely popular payment gateway that is trusted by many. It even facilitates rental payment, letting users transfer the rent to their landlord’s bank account directly through their credit cards. Here is a quick rundown of the steps involved in making a rent payment through credit card using Paytm.
- Visit the Rent Payment page on Paytm
- Select your city and society
- Enter all the necessary details
- Tap on ‘Proceed’ to check your rent
- Select ‘Credit card’ as the mode of payment and pay
Related: 4 New-Age Ways To Make Payments
Big-ticket payments you can make via credit cards
You can use credit cards to make a plethora of payments. While rent seems to be the most common, there are other expenses you could shift on your credit card as well, such as:
- Society maintenance charges
- Mobile phone bills
- Insurance premiums
- Cable and internet charges
- Education fees
- Household essentials
- Streaming services
- Student loan payments
- Flight expenses
Credit cards are extremely useful; they enable you to spend money that you may not even have at the time of the payment! Credit cards help you reap several financial benefits in the form of vouchers, discounts, reward points, etc. Thanks to these incentives, people are feeling encouraged to pay rent through credit cards.
Apart from the many rewards you can get from a credit card, it ensures that your payments are made on time, irrespective of the status of your bank balance. Time to switch to credit cards for paying the rent!