Rail travel insurance can be a solid reassurance when one is travelling by train. Check out what it covers, and how to get it.
If you are an Indian citizen, and above 5 years of age, you are eligible to buy rail travel insurance at a premium of just 49 paise! Surprised? Yes, it’s true. This insurance cover comes as a boon for all passengers and also for the authorities, what with the severity of rail accidents and the government having to compensate passengers for their loss. And it’s cheaper than regular travel insurance!
Rail travel insurance is cheap to buy but it can be opted for only if your tickets are booked online booked online. The online ticket booking portal of IRCTC (the catering and tourism corporation of Indian Railways) offers this feature. However, critical illness cover (see page 8/13 – ‘Exceptions’) is not provided. Kindly note that some professions are excluded from this insurance cover (please click here and read page 3/13).
Related: Indian Railways offers insurance at less than 50 paise per train passenger. How does it work?
How much can be claimed as insurance?
Now let’s take a look at the sum assured to nominees or next of kin in the event of a railway accident.
- In case of death – Rs 10 lakh
- Permanent total disability – Rs 10 lakh
- Permanent partial disability – up to Rs 7.5 lakh
- Hospitalisation for injury – Rs 2 lakh
- Transportation of mortal remains – Rs 10,000
A list of insurance providers is given below:
- Bharti Axa General Insurance Co Ltd.
- Bajaj Alliance General Insurance Co Ltd.
- Shriram General Insurance Co Ltd.
How to avail of rail travel insurance
Here is a step-by-step guide to getting insurance cover from Indian Railways.
- Go to the IRCTC portal at www.irctc.co.in
- Book your ticket
- Click the ‘Travel Insurance’ option
- Check SMS on your registered mobile or email on registered email ID, directly from insurance companies.
- Click on the link provided in the message (email or SMS)
- Fill nomination details at the insurance site mentioned
Points to remember
- Once the premium is paid, cancellations would not be allowed
- If the nomination is not filled, the railways would settle with the next of kin
- Insurance coverage is not provided for children below 5 years
- ‘Untoward incidents’ such as death or injury caused by terrorism etc, are also covered. (read page 2/13)
- Payout of insurance money is uniform for all, irrespective of the class the passengers booked
Rail travel insurance is indeed a fantastic scheme from IRCTC and is available to passengers at the lowest cost possible. This scheme came into being from September 2016, and became an instant hit with train travellers in India. Indian Railways has been upgrading its safety standards year on year, reducing the number of accidents, but the insurance offer inspires more confidence and trust.