- Date : 17/09/2020
- Read: 6 mins
- Read in हिंदी: ऑनलाइन ई.पी.एफ. ट्रांसफर| एक कदम-दर-कदम मार्गदर्शिका
You can – and should – transfer your EPF account when changing jobs. Read on to know what you must keep ready before you initiate the transfer process.
The Employees’ Provident Funds and Miscellaneous Provisions Act, 1952, mandates that companies and employees must each contribute 12% of the employee’s salary (basic plus dearness allowance) towards the employee’s provident fund. The accumulated amount earns a fixed interest set by the Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO).
When switching jobs, it is important to also switch your EPF account to the new employer. EPFO has made both online and offline provisions to make this transfer smooth. This is done to reduce overall tax liability from the balance accumulated in two separate accounts. Even though an EPF account becomes inactive after you leave a job, interest earned on the balance becomes taxable.
To enjoy tax exemption on your PF balance, here’s what you should do:
Checking eligibility conditions
To make an EPF transfer under a new employer, an individual must fulfil a set of guidelines. Completing the following steps will allow one to make a seamless transfer online.
- An EPF account holder must have an active UAN (Universal Account Number). To activate an inactive number, log on to the EPF portal here.
- Personal details such as bank account number, bank’s IFSC, and Aadhaar details should be verified on the portal. Next, this needs to be digitally verified by the employer and the UIDAI to complete the transfer process. The status of completion can be checked under the ‘Manage’ tab of the Member SEWA portal. Your employer will approve bank account details, while Aadhaar will be seeded in the UAN account.
- The Date of Joining and Date of Exit must be stated clearly on the form.
- Once you complete the online procedure, an OTP will be sent to your registered mobile number. Ensure the number is active so that the SMS can be delivered to you.
- You can make only one transfer request against a single member ID. Try to double-check the online form before submitting it to the EPFO for a successful EPF transfer.
When transferring an EPF account online, only one employer has the authority to attest your form. It could be either the past employer or the new one. A digital signature has to be uploaded on the portal by them to complete the EPF transfer online.
Steps to transfer EPF online
To request an EPF transfer online, an employee needs to follow and complete the following steps:
- Log on on to https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface using your UAN and password.
- Under the ‘Online Services’ section, click on ‘One EPF Account, Transfer Request’.
- A webpage with your EPF details will pop up. Check your personal details, bank account number and current EPF account that you wish to transfer.
- Next, provide your current PF number (available on your salary slip). Also keep your member ID or UAN handy to fill in the required fields, as asked.
- Select the employer of your choice to attest to your online form. Always check with HR regarding the availability of the employer before making a decision.
- In case your UAN is the same for both employers, enter your member ID. A member ID can be easily generated by clicking on the MID option, and an OTP will be sent to your registered mobile number.
- Once the OTP is received, fill it in and click on ‘Get Details’. It is essential to check your EPF transfer details before finally submitting the form.
- Select the new EPF account to initiate transfers once the form is approved.
- With all the details in place, submit the form for final approval to the EPFO.
On successful submission of the online form, a tracking ID will be generated. It can be used to check the EPF transfer status. Download the PDF version of your completed form and keep it safely with other documents as a manual record. Doing so will ensure you can submit it to the EPFO office if a hard copy is ever required.
Related: How to check your EPF Balance
Documents required for EPF transfer
To ease the process, keep the following documents ready before initiating a transfer:
- Valid ID proof (Aadhaar, PAN card, or driver’s licence)
- Revised Form 13
- Mobile phone with registered SIM
- Current employer’s details
- Bank account number (salary account)
- Old and new PF account details
Additional checkpoints for a smooth EPF transfer
When applying for an EPF transfer, an employee must consider these:
- The registered mobile number is active
- The UAN is active on the portal
- The bank account (salary account) is linked to the UAN
- The UAN has been KYC verified
- The chosen employer to attest the form has a registered authorized digital signature
- PF number of both past and present employers are registered on the EPFO database
How to check the status of an EPF transfer online?
To check your EPF transfer status, follow the given steps:
- Head to the EPFO home page
- Log on to the employee’s page after filling in the required details
- Click on ‘Track Claim Status’ under the ‘Online Services’ tab
- Once logged in, enter details of your UAN and unique captcha code to verify yourself
- On the screen, you will see space for a member ID; select the account whose status you wish to check
- To view the status of your application, click on ‘View your Claim Status’
Once the employer completes their part of the approval, the status of the form is changed to ‘approved’ by the employer. The process is simple and easy to follow but can be slightly time-consuming. Your application form may take around two months to be approved after submission, so patience is advised. Switching jobs? Don’t forget to check your EPS service history.