- Date : 05/08/2022
- Read: 3 mins
The post office FD interest rate is payable on an annual basis. The tenure of the schemes of the post office fixed deposit is from 1-5 years.
If you want to invest your money in a safe place and at the same time earn good returns, then post office FD accounts perfect for you. The Government of India offers post office fixed deposit accounts with good interest rates. As such, the post office FD rates scheme comes with a guarantee from the government itself. The tenure of the schemes of the post office fixed deposit is from 1-5 years. Let us learn more about these post office safe investments with high returns in India.
Post Office FD Interest Rate 2022
The post office FD interest rate is payable on an annual basis. The minimum deposit, in this case, is INR 1,000, while there is no involvement of the maximum limit here.
Suppose the post office fixed deposit is for a tenure of 5 years, then the individual will have the eligibility to claim tax benefits. These benefits are available under the Income Tax Act, 1961, specifically Section 80C. Most noteworthy, the regular Post Office FD interest rate for 60 months tenure is 6.70%. As such, you will enjoy high return investments here. This is better than the usual savings accounts.
Are there any special rates for Senior Citizens?
Yes, there is a savings scheme that is designed specifically keeping senior citizens in mind. These are citizens that are above the age of 60. The maturity period of this account is of 5 years. Moreover, senior citizens can make deposits only once. Also, the maximum amount they can deposit is INR 15 lac, and it can be made in INR.1,000 multiples.
Characteristics of Post Office Fixed deposit
- Transferring of the post office FD accounts can take place from one post office to another, anywhere in India.
- Any number of post office FD accounts can be opened in any post office in India.
- One can open the account by cheque or cash
- The minimum amount is INR 1,000.
- There is no maximum limit to the deposit.
- The account of a minor must be converted once the minor becomes an adult.
- The extension of tenure is possible by making an application
- Post office FD interest rate is payable on an annual basis.
- Post office FD interest rate is credited into the holder’s savings account.
Who can open the Account?
A time deposit India Post account can be opened by the following:
- A single adult individual.
- If these investment plans are for a joint account, a maximum of 3 adults are involved.
- A Minor individual who is above 10 years of age.
- A guardian on behalf of an unsound mind or minor individual.
Post office fixed deposit accounts are better than various types of investments. These accounts can be opened in a hassle-free manner. This is a great opportunity to make high return investments.
Disclaimer: This article is meant for general financial purposes only. You must not take it as any form of legal or taxation or investment or insurance advice. You must seek separate independent advice when indulging in financial decision-making.