- Date : 04/05/2018
- Read: 6 mins
There are several documents you need to link to your Aadhaar card. Here’s what you must know about them.
Linking certain documents with your Aadhaar card has now been made compulsory by the government. These measures are being put into place to ensure that benefits from all government schemes reach the people. The process is relatively simple, and can be done both, online or offline.
Documents that must be linked to your Aadhaar:
- Bank account details
- PAN Card
- Voter ID Card
- LPG Connection Card
- Ration Card
- Mobile number
Here’s how you can link these documents with your Aadhaar card and the benefits you get by doing this.
1. Bank account: To link your bank account with your Aadhaar online, your net banking should be activated.
- Log into net banking and go the link ‘Update Aadhaar Card Details’ or ‘Aadhaar Card Seeding’
- Enter all your Aadhaar details, verify the same and submit.
- Once your details are confirmed at the bank, you will get a notification through email or on the registered phone number.
- For offline linking, you will need an Aadhaar and Bank linking form.
- You can download this or get it from your bank.
- Fill in the details, attach a photocopy of your Aadhar card and submit it to your bank.
Benefit- By linking these two documents, you can receive benefits from government welfare schemes, such as pensions, welfare funds, scholarships etc., all of which are directly credited to your bank account.
2. PAN: Linking your Aadhaar Card and PAN is not only mandatory, but also must be done before 31 July 2017.
- To do so, go to http://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in and click on ‘Link Aadhaar tab’.
- Enter your PAN and Aadhaar number or SMS UIDPAN
and send to 567678 or 56161
Here’s all you need to know about linking these two documents.
Benefit- It will reduce corruption and fraud eliminating fake PAN card numbers. It can also identify tax evaders and reduce the possibility of black money circulation.
3. Voter ID: Linking your Aadhaar with your voter ID is a simple, straightforward procedure. This can be done online, through your phone by sending an SMS or by contacting the call center.
- To complete the procedure online, you need to visit the official NVSP website
- You can also link these documents by sending the below SMS to 166 OR 51969:
- Or you can call dedicated call centres on 1950 on weekdays, where all you need to do is provide your Aadhaar details and EPIC number
- To link these documents offline, you will have to submit an application to your Booth Level Officer (BLO)
Benefit- Linking these documents will help eliminate multiple voter ID cards in one person’s name, thus cleaning up the voting system.
4. LPG: To do this, your bank account and Aadhaar card must be linked.
- You must first download the subsidy form from http://petroleum.nic.in or the official websites of Bharat Gas, HP Gas or Indane.
- Fill it up with the necessary details and submit it to the closest LPG distributor, along with an application.
- You can also do it by simply calling the call centre at 18000-2333-555 and following the instructions.
Benefit- This enables you to avail subsidized LPG that the government offers.
5. Ration card: Like most other documents, the ration and Aadhaar card can be linked online and offline.
- This must be done from the Aadhaar seeding website.
- Click on ‘Start Now’ and enter all the necessary details.
- Once this is done, an OTP number will be sent to your phone.
- After entering this number, your application will be processed and you will receive a notification.
- To link them offline, you need photocopies of your ration card and Aadhaar copies of your family members.
- You also need a passport photograph of the head of the family. You will also need a photocopy of your bank passbook if your bank account is not linked to your Aadhaar.
- Submit these to the ration office. You will be notified by SMS or email once the documents have reached the relevant department.
Benefit- It will stop the misuse of ration cards.
6. Mobile number: As per Department of Telecom (DoT), since Mar 2017, KYC (Know Your Customer) is mandatory for obtaining new mobile phone connections. Telecom companies have been asked to get the linking done for their existing base. To do this, consumers have received text messages from their respective service providers, asking them to visit the nearest store to link and verify their Aadhaar card with their phone number.
It is also important to note that your mobile number must be added to your Aadhaar card to enable OTP transactions. Below are the steps you can follow to update your Aadhaar with your mobile number online.
- Download and print the Aadhar Update/Correction Form from the website
- In the ‘Field for Update/ Correction’ mentioned at the top of the form, tick ‘Mobile’
- Fill in the necessary details in the form as per your Aadhaar card
- Provide your mobile and Aadhaar card numbers in the respective fields
- Sign or provide your thumb print on the document
- The application then has to be mailed to the Aadhaar office
This process can also be completed by physically visiting an Aadhaar centre, where along with filling the form, your biometrics will be recorded and verified as well.
If you have already linked your number, and need to update a new number, it can be done online. However, ensure that the linked number is functional before updating the new number. To update the new number, visit the UIDAI website and click on Aadhaar update tab. Once you have entered the necessary details, an OTP will be sent to your existing mobile number. After entering the OTP, you will have to update your new number and submit it.
Benefit- It helps establish your identity and avail government social security schemes. It can also aid financial matters like keeping bank accounts active and filing tax returns.
The Centre is also considering making Aadhaar cards mandatory for securing vehicle registration and driving license. This will help in creating a national database and curb the problem of fake licenses.