Lost property papers: How to get a true copy of property papers?

Losing property papers can be stressful, but don’t worry getting a true copy or certified copy can solve your problems. Find out how to get certified or true copy of your property documents here.

Lost property papers

Property papers are as important as your property itself. They hold every detail about your property, right from the owner's name and construction year till the last amount it was purchased for. 

Whether you own one property or you are a landlord, each document is equally essential. The property papers are collective documents. This includes the  likes of title deed, property sales deed, power of attorney, brochures about specifications, etc. So if you lose the papers, you might feel you lost almost everything. However, don't panic as there is a way to recover the lost documents.

The only way to retrieve lost property papers  is by creating a true copy or certified copy of your documents. This article will cover everything to set you up with true copies and certified copies of your documents. 

Let’s start by knowing what a true copy is.

What is a true copy?

By now you can guess or have a short idea about what a true copy document is. Building on that knowledge, a true copy is a duplicate document of your original property papers, but these photocopy documents are backed by widely accepted standards that make them a replacement for original documents. 

True copies or certified copies are property papers that are signed and stamped by high authority officers. These officers can be IAS, IPS officers, or department heads of government bodies. Their positions are highly respected, and due to this, their signature is regarded as an approval of the document's authenticity. 

Knowing just about what a true copy is cannot help. You must know the steps to obtain a true/certified copy for your property papers. 

Also Read: Different Types of Property Papers

How to get a true copy?

Obtaining a true copy is not a tedious process. Often used, there’s a well-structured procedure for obtaining true/certified copies of property papers.

You'll generally require a true copy of your documents when they are either lost or damaged. In any of the cases, you have to file an FIR with the local police authority regarding the damage to the property papers. If the documents are lost, the local police authority will start its search operations, and it will look out for your property papers and get back to you with the news. 

Filing an FIR is not compulsory, but it is essential to stop your documents' unauthorized usage. Moreover, a copy of the FIR from the local police authority will also help you in explaining the authenticity of your case to all the people you approach for a true copy or during reselling of the property.

Also Read: How To Sell Your Property At Higher Rates?

Once you've informed the police, get a copy of the FIR, and give notice in the local newspaper. Giving notice is important because if someone has mistakenly taken your property documents, they might return them, or if they are intentionally damaged, the person gets alerted of the dire consequences he might face. To give notice in the local newspaper, you'll need to get the notice drafted from a lawyer in a prescribed format that you may receive from the newspaper. You should wait for some time after the notice is published. 

Once you've waited for some time and there are no leads or progress for your property papers, it is time to get going. You can visit the local sub registrar's office and ask for a true copy or certified copy that is signed by the competent authority. This process will take up to 10 weeks, and you'll be ensured that you'll receive the documents at your address by post.

Moving on to whether the whole process is free of charge or not. 

Is it free of charge?

Partially yes, you don’t need to pay anything to the government in case of issuing a true or certified copy of your property documents. But still, if you put a notice in your local newspaper, you’ll incur some charges like the charge of getting the notice drafted by a lawyer, and the news agency will also charge some money to print the notice. 

Is the true copy legalized?

Yes, a true copy is as legalized as original property documents. If your property papers' true copy comes from the sub registrar's office, worry not, as it is entirely legal. 

Also Read: Property Papers To Check Before Buying Home


Related Article

Premium Articles